Sunday, March 19, 2006

My First Race

I just completed my first 5k run in Burlington, Ontario. My goal was simple: reach the finish line without being carried by the paramedics. My best times during training on a treadmill were just below 39 minutes, and most practice session ended before the completion of a full 5k.
I finished in 34.42, and am looking forward to the next event with great anticipation. I finished 170 / 192 finishers, and 8 / 9 in my class.
An interesting observation: During the times when the running was hardest, praying helped. In fact, there were a number of prayer subjects that seemed to get better treatment while I ran, than during my usual prayer time.

4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes when we are called to perservere prayer is the only thing that works. This is true in running and in ministry.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulaton Dave on the completion of your first 5 K run. I am impressed. Appreciated you comments. I am proud of you!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger DW said...

Congratulations Dave, both on the race and on the blog! I look forward to checking in with you! By the way, I too have recently joined the world of blogging, though not the world of running... yet. Pay me a visit at http://www.-live-out-loud-.blogspot.com/
God's best to you!
Dave W.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger ancient clown said...

A quick re-write of an old classic.
Tortoise and the Hair(abridged):
The tortoise, considered ancient by some, taking life one day at a time, living in the now, was rapidly approached by a relatively young hare one day. The hare challenged the tortoise to a race by saying; 'In a minute I'll be miles ahead of you'. To which the tortoise laughed and replied; 'Fine...But in a moment I'll be crossing the finish line instead of you.' --- Moral of the story: "It's not a human race, it's a hue-man journey."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home